Saturday, May 10, 2014

Japanese Strawberry Shortcake


Because I wanted to bake a Japanese styled cake, and this popped up in my research for Japanese sponge cake. :) I used the cake recipe from thelittleteochew


Except I used the olive-gold margarine instead of butter. I accidentally overbaked the cake a bit (guess baking for 20-23 minutes might suffice), so that cake's a little dry. 


But taste wise, perfect! 


 For the frosting, I used this white fluffy marshmallow frosting recipe. The cooked sugar hardened rather quickly (I might have overcooked it since the temp is higher than what my digital thermometer can measure). Guess I should have added it to whites a little faster. 


 It's a little too sweet for me. 


 It behaves something like 7-minute frosting, but less creamy, and is instead a little grainy (more like the Breadtalk Hello Kitty's frosting - the strawberry placed on too easily lifts the frosting off the cake with a bubbly look). 


Good thing is that it doesn't flow out when used as filling, or maybe cos the strawberries were tall enough to hold on to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...