Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins

I'm still on leave today!

After tennis at Kallang, and a Dim Sum lunch at Geylang, I decided to bake some chocolate chip muffins.

I've been in the mood to bake citrus-y stuff since 2 weeks ago, but never had the chance to cos there were no oranges in the house.

I spotted this recipe a few weeks back and decided to try it today, since there were 3 big oranges in the fridge! :) I didn't notice that I didn't have yogurt when I started out. So I just omitted the yogurt and used less oil. I have the impression that the yogurt would make the mixture more solid, and so decided to use less oil. In the end, I still had to add about 1/2 to 1 tbsp flour to make the mixture more solid. It seemed a little too watery... Who knows if I made the right decision... :P



It tastes quite nice, but seems to stick to the paper. Maybe I should cook it longer? Now to wait for everyone to come home to try it. :)

-
Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins
(Makes 12 Medium Muffins and 12 Small Muffins)

65g vegetable oil
220g brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons grated orange zest.
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup water
2 1/2 cups plain flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chocolate chip

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and line muffin tin with paper liners.
In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda); set aside.
In another bowl, combine the oil, brown sugar, citrus zest and egg. Once combined, stir in the water, and vanilla essence.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well. Gently mix in the chocolate chip.
Spoon the batter into the muffin cups filling them close to the top.
Bake for 15 minutes and then lower the temperature to 175 degrees and bake for an additional 12 minutes. When the muffins are done they will spring back when lightly pressed. Otherwise, test the muffins by inserting a toothpick.
Remove the muffins and let them cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...