Sunday, February 20, 2011

Chocolate Green Tea Cake



I made Chocolate Green Tea Cake again. Wasn't feeling well so really didn't wanna move but I really felt like baking, and I knew Grace Jie would be looking for something to eat when she comes over (happens every Sat!)

So, I looked to embark on this Choc Green Tea Cake again, aiming to lighten it, and attempting to get a "checkered" look inside instead of a "marbled" look. Given that I don't have the right tools, I just tried to layer the batter. Kinda hard to get the perfect straight checkered look, but the idea's there.

So, how to lighten the cake? I got the idea from the Okashi book - used pastry flour instead of the recommended plain flour and sifted it twice. I really wanted to lighten the cake cos I've made this recipe a couple of times and always found the texture too rough and heavy and moist - more muffin-like than cupcake-like. I love muffins, but the texture of this was really rough. That, I couldn't stand. So, switch I did.

Honestly, I was surprised at how good the result was! Just from one change! I didn't really want to eat it, but Grace Jie kept raving about it to everyone and I was trying to get her to tell me what the difference was. In the end, I just ate a little bite, and I was shocked!

The resultant cake was spongy and light. (Might also be because I beat the eggs for a good 10 minutes.)

In any case, Grace Jie loved this much more than the previous version. No one else said a thing though, but expected because she's the only one who really likes these cupcakes/muffins.

Nonetheless, if anyone wants the previous moist, heavier version, I know how to get that effect too.. yay..

(zc may not be too forgiving with me switching up the recipe, but I've made the previous one like 2-3 times and really wanted to lighten it up... ah wells.. he didn't even wanna try the cake.. bah. On the bright side, at least someone likes it. haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...