Friday, January 28, 2011

Simple Swiss Roll Sponge



Bought Okashi recently and have been wanting to try out the recipes. I wanted to try the green tea chiffon, but figured I'd have to first test how good the soy cream recipe is.

Hence before that, I'll have to have a cake!

I figured I'd keep it easy and chose the Swiss roll sponge.

Supposed to be the easiest to make. But it's not as simple as it sounds.

First, it said to place the bowl with the eggs over a pot of swimmiring water. When egg mixture is warm, use an electric mixture and beat on high speed till light and fluffy.

Trust me, I did exactly that.

And after mixing the flour in, this is what I got...

A scrambled egg mix. When it came out of the oven, it was tough and eggy.

I was rather depressed when zc called and I complained. And he said "it's ok, just try again". That got me going! (I was gonna deem this a bad lousy book.. Haha)

So off I went on my second try.

This time, no heating of eggs, using my past experience from Jamie's recipes.... Just beat till creamy light fluffy. I'm guessing the heating of egg is just to make it a little warm. Then remove from heat and beat. But I didn't do that... Just beat. And mix in the flour.

Texture of batter was normal. And it rose normally.

Yay!!!!!

It's moist and won't break when rolling! Now I think it's not a bad recipe...

I also made the soy cream. Which TOTALLY tasted like tofu. =___=

Sigh. Another failure with a possible dairy-free cream... What will I do?? I can't keep eating cakes with choc cream only... :(((((((((

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...