Sunday, January 2, 2011

Vegan Chocolate Mousse Cake



During christmas, my aunt and uncle attempted to make "cream" using tofu, as I am allergic to dairy products. Real dairy free cream doesn't seem available where I'm at. :(

The tiramisu cake base they made was really nice. It had a nice coffee taste to it - they used Kahlua and coffee. It was great!

But the cream, it had this strange "tasteless" feeling, cos it is tofu after all.

After that experience, I googled around a bit and found this vegan chocolate mousse cake on ehow.com. I've tried making mousse with tofu previously, but I always prefer the version with egg as the taste is more intense and it's very light. With tofu, it's has a creamy feel, but there's always a strange after-taste that makes me feel like vomitting. May sound exagerrating, but I really felt nauseous in church this morning.

Anyhow, I thought the cake was not too bad, for a vegan cake (reduced sugar to 150g). I had to cut off the domed tops of the cakes - they were really hard, and not tastey. The rest of the cake was really like sponge cakes. The cake was also a little reddish-brown at some parts of the cake, looking like red velvet cake to me (never ate one in my life).

*Update*
Cyn and Dad both ate 2 slices! That's a new for my cakes.

They both liked the look of the cake - unlike the blackforest cake where the filling was wet and flowy, this was solid.

Cyn:
"This tastes like.... chocolate cake!"
Haha.. This was funny cos she realised it WAS a chocolate cake.
She liked the cake (said that without prompting so I guess she really liked it).
She says the mousse is ok. I asked if it needed to be more chocolatey, but she said it was ok the way it was.

Me:
Texture of the cake (without the top) was surprisingly nice. And it's vegan!
The mousse wasn't exciting for me though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...